Can't make hamburger menu in mobile

I’ve tried so many times to do this and have re-played the RM how-to videos over and over. I’ve spent hours on this.

I just can’t get it to work. I get as far as linking the menu items to their respective pages, but after that, I can’t figure out how to connect the hamburger icon to the “menu” feature, or how to make that closing X appear, or how to animate the menu layers in the correct manner to get it to become a real menu, or how to figure out how to select the right layers to get it to animate…

Seriously feels like creating a simple mobile menu is taking as much time as I took to create the desktop website in the first place. It shouldn’t be rocket science and other websites like Squarespace easily transform into a mobile hamburger menu for you.

I contacted support already and waiting for assistance, though I need more help than a simple email can provide because of how lost I am.

If anyone reading this would be willing to videochat about how they did it or do it for me I’d be happy to compensate them for their time. It will probably take you a few minutes if you know how to do it.